In 2010, 73,000 people over the age of 20 underwent amputation due to complications from diabetes. If you have been diagnosed with diabetes, foot care and proper management of your blood sugar levels can significantly reduce your chances of having an amputation in the lower leg, foot or toes.
By following the foot care instructions below, those who live with diabetes can significantly lower their chances of an amputation:
· Check your feet regularly for blisters, swelling, bruises, and redness
· To get a closer look at your feet, use a magnifying glass
· Use a feather or other light object to check for sensation in your feet
· Ask a loved one or a friend to examine your feet
· Discover if your feet can feel the difference between warm and cold temperatures
· Wear diabetic shoes and socks to ensure circulation
When managing your blood sugar levels, the following steps can help you avoid complications caused by diabetes:
· Eat a healthy diet
· Check your blood sugar regularly
· Take your insulin and other diabetic medications as instructed by your physician
At Bulow Orthotics & Prosthetic Solutions, we have a wide selection of diabetic foot care and blood sugar testing supplies available to help you maintain the health of your lower limbs and prevent your chance of amputation caused by major diabetic complications.