Summertime means paradise and pools. However, having a prosthesis can make going to the warm sandy beaches or public pool a daunting task. That’s why we wanted to offer these helpful tips and steps to help make your summer swimming peaceful and soothing!
· Go with friends: Going anywhere with friends will always make you feel more comfortable and makes the environment that you’re in less intimidating. Your friends are there to support you, so you will have a strong system in place thanks to them when attempting to walk through the sand or get into the pool.
· Understand your device: It is imperative that you know what your prosthesis is capable of and what its limits are. Talk to your prosthetist to know if your device can be used in sand or if a waterproof one meant for aquatic activity is available. They will know what the correct plan of action is for your limb because they have worked with you and know how your body responds to your prosthesis.
· Wear what you want: It’s important that you feel comfortable in your own skin when on the beach or in a pool. Pick what you want to wear and go with it. It doesn’t matter what you’re in as long as you are happy, so wear a long flowy dress or just sport a swim suit if you’d like! Feeling confident will help you take on any challenges that may present themselves.
· Be prepared: It’s crucial that you bring all the supplies you’ll need so that your summer fun isn’t stressful. For example, make sure to pack sunscreen because if the tender skin on your residual limb burns, it’ll make wearing the prosthesis uncomfortable and difficult to wear. Be prepared for a few challenges along the way. Walking in sand with divots is no easy task, so make sure your balance and coordination are in full swing when trekking across the beach.
· Enjoy Yourself: After making it to your perfect spot on the beach or into the pool, be sure to let go and relax. Be proud of your accomplishment this summer and enjoy the serenity given to you by your piece of paradise!
We hope that these tidbits of information will help you enjoy your summer swimming! If you have any questions or want to know more about what you can do to prepare your prosthesis for the exciting summer activities ahead, contact us today!